Global Games Market & Local Industry Scene
The Global Games Market
- 2.3 BILLION ACTIVE GAMERS ACROSS THE GLOBE IN 2018.
- GAME MARKET IS WORTH MORE THAN MUSIC & FILM COMBINED.
- GAME REVENUE TOPS $137.9BILLION IN 2018. Mobile Game 51% outperformed other platforms with $70.3Billion in total revenue.
- Mobile Transformation pays dividends & dramatically outperforms GDP Growth in Key Economies. Japan, Brazil and the UK were the top 3 countries where mobile consumer spend advanced significantly faster than overall GDP.
- Over 50% of the world’s population (3.9Billion) are estimated to be online in 2018. And 96% of the world’s population lives within range of a mobile network. In 2018, there were over 4Billion mobile devices. Many emerging markets, such as India and Philippines are mobile first with consumers using mobile as their primary access point to the internet.
- The state of mobile 2019 summaries that Mobile Game Revenues is 74% of $101Billion from the total worldwide App Store consumer spend in 2018. China came out ahead with companies contributing to 32% of the total consumer spend globally accounting for $19.6Billion. The top 5 parent companies for global consumer spend in 2018 were Tencent (China), NetEase (China), Activision Blizzard (US), Bandai Namco (Japan) and Netmarble (Korea). Respectively, all gaming companies.
Trends to watch in 2019
- The Market Will Continue to Grow.
- Games market’s projected revenue hit $150 Billion in 2019.
- Mobile game revenues grow by emerging markets like India.
- A Relatively Quiet Year for Sony and Microsoft
- Fewer large releases in 2019.
- Gearing up for the Next Console Generation in 2020.
- Cloud Gaming Battle: PlayStation Now by Sony, xCloud by Microsoft, Stadia by Google.
- Nintendo Switch will continue to adding new features.
- PC’s Store Wars Will Heat Up
- Steam’s monopoly is Ended.
- Epic Games Store: Massive Fortnite Audience, Exclusive Deals, 88/12 Revenue Split.
- Discord Store: Even better for developer 90/10 Revenue Split.
- THE EFFECT OF China’s Regulations
- Ethics Game Committee: Difficult for foreign companies to release games in China.
- Only Biggest Titles & Franchises can risk China releases.
- Chinese game companies Move Their Focus to Overseas.
- Companies which Ventured into overseas gained significant’s revenue. While the Companies focused IN China recorded negative growth.
- Premium Passes Become More Popular
- Giving fans the chance to pay extra for additional esports video content.
- Behind-the-scenes videos, post-match Q&A sessions with players, and multi-view streams.
- Athletes Featured in Brands’ Marketing Campaigns
- Nike with League of Legends Star, Uzi, China
- Head & Shoulder with Dota 2 Player, RAMZES666, Russian
- ESPN with Fortnite Streamer Ninja, USA
- Esports Venues on the Up
- Global esports audience will total 456 Million in 2019. Up from 2018’s 395 Million.
- Overwatch League and LoL Pro League will host the major event in their own venues.
- Riot Games’ LCK Esports Stadium in Seoul; Full Sail University’s world’s largest collegiate esports arena in Florida; Canada’s first esports arena in Richmond.
- Southeast Asia’s Esports Scene Continues to Take Off
- SEA boasts the fastest-growing esports audience, which will reach 31.9 Million in 2019.
- Singtel, Air Asia, Razer, Garena collaborate with their partners to grow the gaming and esport ecosystem across SEA.
- Dota 2, Starcraft 2, Tekken 7, Mobile Legends, Arena of Valor will be a medal sports at the 2019 SEA Games.
- Epic Will Expand Its Store to Mobile
- Epic will bypass the Google Play Store.
- Android mobile edition of the Epic Games Store.
- Disrupt the App distribution scene and could mark the end for App Stores.
- More Immersive and Competitive Games on Mobile
- Genres that were once exclusive to PC/console like shooters, MOBAs, and (MMO)RPGs are now commonplace on mobile.
- These types of mobile games are, and will remain to be, very popular in emerging
- markets such as India and South East Asia.
- Battle Royale and Hyper-Casual Games Dominated the Global Gaming Market in 2018
- 2019: Not the Year of 5G
- Only a select few cities will have access to 5G.
- Several more years of infrastructure investment and technological breakthroughs to deliver on its full promise.
- 5G will also be limited to a small number of high-end smartphone models. Most consumers will not upgrade right away. Apple won’t be adding 5G tech until at least 2020.
GAMING LANDSCAPE IN MALAYSIA
- Malaysia Games Market.
- Southeast Asia represents 4% of the Global Games Market.
- In 2019 January, Malaysia ranked 21 in Global Games Market. Total Game Revenues reached US$633Million.
- More than 90% revenues generated from Mobile Games.
- Local Game Dev Industry.
- Malaysia has 32Million Population; 27Million Internet Population. 14Million Gamers.
- More than 20 Institutes provided Game related Courses.
- More than 50 International Studios, Local Outsourcing Studios and Independent Studios in Malaysia.
- Salary Range IN MALAYSIA
- CREATIVE DESIGNER/ CONCEPT ARTIST/ 3D ARTIST
- RM2,000 ~ RM7,200
- GAME PROGRAMMER/ SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- RM2,400 ~ RM9,000
- PROJECT CO-ORDINATOR/ MANAGER/ PRODUCER
- RM2,300 ~ RM13,000
- Malaysian Involved Titles across all platforms including PS4, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, PC windows, Steam VR.
- Malaysia Game industry Leaders landscape 2019.
- Including game development studios, Game art Studios. Will expand the infographic with Game Publisher, Game Media, Game Services, Game School, AR/VR by end of the year.
The True Story Behind Magnus Games Studio by Co-founder Mr. DC Gan
- Delivering the Kickstarter Promise.
- “WE GOT THIS” MENTALITY
- Bank full of caaaaaashh
- Sit Back chill and relax
- No more funding issues
- We are ready to set sail
- We can take forever to deliver the game
- Buy houses, buy cars
- Everyone gets bonus
- Reality: “THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING” MENTALITY“
- Limited amount of resource, being cut here and there.
- Clock is ticking, commitments
- Funding will always be an issue
- We are still building the boat
- We have to reply thousands of messages asking about launch date
- No more “Me-Time”
- Internal politics
- Pressure and Stress Level to the max
- Health issue
- Delays, Delays,Delays
- What have we done in community building.
The reality behind managing the community
- 60 updates for the kickstarter campaign
- Discord, Reddit, Steam
- 1 major updates and 1 minor update every month
- Community roadmap, when to launch a content update, etc
- Sincerity, Honest.